View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 AM  
astrid
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Borneo XL: my thoughts and review

I've only learnt that this cage existed from a member on these forums and I am so grateful for it. I've got this cage delivered nearly a week ago, so far, I am really happy with it. My hamster seems to be loving it as well. He has settled in pretty much straight away (last time I changed his cage, it took weeks). So far, I have not heard him chewing the bars at all. His previous cage was of the very similar base size (120 cm x 60 cm), just a much lower height (I think, only 40 cm), and he would chew on the roof of the cage every night (I did experiment with different cage layouts, trying to block off the parts that he chew, etc. Pippin gets some playpen time every night as well).

I love the floor space of this cage and the massive front opening doors. Also, being a barred cage, Borneo XL makes it easier to attach hanging toys, ledges, hammocks and similar for enrichment. Also, it provides better ventilation than tanks or vivariums and must be easier to bear for a hamster during hot summer days (of course there are various ways to cool down any cage).

The cage is a bit too tall for a hamster (I imagine, it would be amazing for mice). There are ways to adapt to the height with shelves, ledges and/or hammocks though. Also, I wasn't able to assemble the foldable top on my own, but with help from my housemate, it was simple and took probably only a couple of minutes (if that). Regarding its availability, I found it on Amazon.co.uk. The price is very reasonable for what you get. The delivery was really fast, and the cage arrived in a secure package (no damage to the cage whatsoever).

Overall, I think it is an amazing cage. And I would recommend it.

I have attached the picture of my current set-up. Since taking this picture, I have added a lava ledge next to one of the sputniks to make it easier for Pippin to climb down. I have also ordered some more hammocks, they should arrive some time this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borneo xl.jpg (76.8 KB, 55 views)
astrid is offline   Reply With Quote