View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 04:08 AM  
astrid
Hamster Pup

Default Re: I think my hamster hates me

Hi Lots of great advice here. I just wanted to add the 3 weeks (or even a couple of months) isn't that long.

When I first got my Syrian hamster Pippin, I also felt like he didn't like me at all. Each hamster is different, and it can take quite a while to bond with them. Now, Pippin is quite affectionate but it took months to get this point. He still doesn't enjoy being held though, and that's OK. But he is no longer afraid of me and usually seems quite excited to see me. Treats helped He also climbs on his tunnel and looks at me calmly, when he wants to come out for a little roam. If I take too long to notice it, or take my time setting up his playpen, he will climb into his hammock and start chewing the roof of his cage Nowadays, he'll step onto my hands quite readily to be transported to his playpen and back, and will also happily climb all over me, while trying to escape the playpen. But initially, he avoided me and especially my hands. It takes time, persistence and patience but, I believe, it is possible to bond with most hamsters to some extent. Let your hamster set the pace.

Meanwhile, if you're not letting her out because of her biting, you can use a mug, tube or some sort of scooper as a 'hamster taxi' and transfer her from the cage and back this way. They tend to climb in willingly.

Also, both of my hamsters took a while to separate fingers from food/treats (although I was lucky that they would just nibble rather than biting). If they began nibbling my finger, I would slowly (so that not to startle them) wiggle it and say 'ouch' or 'no' calmly, and they would understand. And in some time, they have learnt the difference. Now, they never nibble my fingers anymore and are always very gentle, when collecting the treats.
astrid is offline   Reply With Quote