View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Worried about my new dwarf hamster

Hiya welcome, congrats on your new hammy. What you are describing is normal behaviour of a stressed hamster - the frantic running, short wheel bursts etc. A cage change is hugely stressful for them regardless of whether or not it’s an upgrade. They do need several days up to a couple of weeks to settle in. Good that you’ve added some old bedding in. What I would do now is leave him alone entirely while he settles - not sure how long he’s been in there but I’d give it a week from when you moved him. You’re not going to be able to make any taming progress before he settles so it’s for the best. Make sure there isn’t too much open space either so lots of hides, A nice dark and large area to retreat to to sleep at least the size of a shoe box. Plenty of bedding - minimum of six inches high. And ripped up toilet paper, a large handful of it so he can take it to build a nest. Make sure he has a generous amount of extra food so he can get a nice food hoard going. I’m sure he’ll settle in just fine
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote