View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 AM  
detri
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Worried about my new dwarf hamster

Background:

Got my hamster a week ago from PetSmart, didn't read enough about them and realized his cage was too small, so I got him quite an upgrade with much more horizontal space to run around and a nice platform with a ramp. He's got plenty of toys, and I'm also upgrading him to an exercise wheel that won't strain his back (it should be here tomorrow).

I believe him to be a Campbell's or a hybrid, he's got dark grey fur with a white belly, and fur down to his paws. (He's also insanely adorable for what it's worth).

A few things about him:

He's somewhat territorial, he doesn't like it (bites) if my hand goes near his food bowl or nesting spot while he's near them. He also won't let me move his toys around while he's awake. Otherwise he's already jumping into my hand and doesn't seem to mind being handled too much, so long as I let him have his space.

Problem:

He's been frantic in his old cage, so I upgraded him. When I placed him in his new cage (he jumped in my hand and let me carry him there without a problem), he started trying to escape immediately. He did that for about a half hour. Then he went up the ramp and found his old exercise wheel. For the past hour he's been running on it, jumping off, then back on, repeat. He's also running way harder than normal. I put some of his old bedding in the new cage to make him feel more at home. Is it possible that he thinks running in the wheel will take him back to his old environment? Can I do anything else to make him feel more at home? He hasn't formed a new nesting spot yet.

tl;dr

1. Tried to escape his new cage for a half hour.
2. Put some food in his mouth (presumably intending to hoard it in his old nesting spot?).
3. Running on his wheel nonstop with only short breaks in between bursts.
detri is offline   Reply With Quote