View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM  
Sancerree
Newborn Pup

Default Re: My new Robo - whats going on?Is this normal? Help for new owner please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Do you have a photo of your cage set up? Robos tend to need a set up with a fair amount of "overhead cover" to feel secure - eg good sized tunnels, hanging toys etc so it's not too open above, and a shelf or platform to go under. If there isn't much then they will instinctively dive under the substrate. They are the most fearful of all hamsters (so I've read) being so tiny - and they are prey animals so being under something makes them feel they can't be got at from above (like bird claws!). Even though they're domesticated pets they still have this instinct.

I know what you mean - it's like you never see them. I find though that although our robo likes to nest out of sight/underground, he comes out a lot more than our syrian - often at lunch time and in the afternoon. And when they are out they can be very funny rushing around and running in their wheels/saucer etc.

When she's settled and feels more confident she will be more active I'm sure. I also worried if ours was ok when I could never see him. Do you put a bit of fresh veg out each day as well as hamster mix? If not it's a good idea - just a tiny bit - thumbnail sized. They love fresh veg and you will see it has been nibbled each morning so know she is ok!

Another thing to check is water bottle accessibility and make sure it's not too high to reach.
Yes I do have couple more pictures - please have a look -> https://imgur.com/a/3J9mPRI

Under the shelf area, there is her potty in the corner, tunnel burrowed in bedding and sand bath.

So far I only tried to give her cucumber - which she nibbled on a bit. She hasn't taken a treat from my hand tho yet but doesn't seem to be totally freaked out by hand in the cage unless it causes some sudden noise (like accidentally hitting bars of the cage with my arm). Usually, when I try to give her something from my hand, she just sits in her potty (I can't reach there due to the shelf) and does nothing. I'm considering taking off the top of the cage (bar part) and trying to give her some seed from the mix (she seems to go for small seeds - well she is tiny, and corn and sunflower seed). She wasn't interested in yoghurt drop I left it on her plate but was untouched later. She likes millet spray which I planted in form of a 'tree' in her cage.

Our routine at the moment looks like this:
In the morning we are looking for her in the bedding to check If she is okay, then she pops her head out (super cute) and does some hamster things for a bit but from what I observed stays on the surface when we are around.

At evening, when I came back from work I had to be digging in the bedding for a good 5 minutes before I found her, she got out and is now in the tunnel on the surface. I tried with treats but no success will try again later.
Sancerree is offline   Reply With Quote