Thread: Euthanasia?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 11:53 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Euthanasia?

I have met many hamster owners on this forum who are realistic and open minded when it comes to what’s best for our animals. We are custodians and one of our pledges on earth is to care for the creatures of this planet. I have a decision to make that is a tough one and am approaching you all to discuss my options...

Upon reflection I realized that I didn’t use enough tact in dealing with this situation and for that I am at fault and acknowledge that I could have handled myself better.

There are no official cat sanctuaries or shelters where I am. In the gated community we live in there are probably close to 300 cats. The majority are cats abandoned when their owners have final exited and moved onto the next country. The other half are offspring.

In Western countries where the weather is varied and there are more wild life available for cats to catch - mice, birds, rats etc and it’s not so hot that the cats can actually run during the day to hunt. Here it’s impossible and everything is concrete so paws get burnt and to be honest cats just can’t move in the heat.

The general ignorance here is that there are people who feed these strays once a day then leave them to fend for themselves to find their own shelter etc. the amount of food being left out is the only sustenance these cats are getting is from the food being given. It’s not like it is in other countries...if that person moved away and left the cats they would survive on hunting. Here they would die if they didn’t find another human feeder. If you were feeding 4 cats you would be the reason those cats were alive - the sole reason they were breathing. Back to ignorance...people feel that it’s not their cats but feeding them a meager amount once a day not according to their needs or age is a Florence Nightingale thing to do. The cat is alive right? By doing this one is keeping them just alive but not enough to lead healthy lives. They also believe the cats aren’t there’s so they are not responsible for fixing them. By feeding them just enough not to die they fall pregnant and you can imagine how they struggle to feed their kittens and house them. Even hiding in people’s yards under shrubs is still extremely hot. By feeding them and not fixing them one is solely responsible for that animal being born. Imagine that? Being solely responsible for that animal then leaving it to the elements?

I didn’t involve myself in this because I chose not to. We have two highly spoilt cats who watch Jackson Galaxy and hVe their own cat highways along the walls. I was asked to feed two groups of strays that people were feeding that had left for holiday for two months. I should never have accepted - I honestly thought these animals had all been fixed. I should have checked. I don’t want to be hypocrite by also feeding the problem. Anyways, kittens have been born and they were dying. That was last week. I have medicated them and they are healing well. I have began feeding the cats twice a day and have looked into trying to get the people who feed them to set up shelters in their yards with cooling mats. That probably won’t happen because I messGed both of them letting rip at the fact that they hadn’t fixed these cats. The convos didn’t go well - it wasn’t tactful on my part and badly handled I admit. I was furious... no excuse though. They probably won’t want to feed the cats anymore...those ants will move onto the next feeder. We have agreed to pay for 4 of them to be fixed and we are more than happy to help catch them. Probably won’t help after the tongue lashing I gave them.

Anyways...this is why I am posting this thread. Do we take the three kittens and mother and care for them? Get shelters rigged, cooling mats and the correct food according to their age and requirements and then when we final exit in 4 years or so put them down or do we continue to feed twice d daily, Medicare and then hand over to the other person who was originally caring for them but had to leave for a while and stay out of it?

We can’t leave those cats behind...cats live for 15 years plus. People won’t care for them like we do. When we leave our garden will be uprooted and cleared like a clean slate for the next contract holder.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote