View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 AM  
PuppyMintMocha
Newborn Pup

Default Re: I think my hamster hates me

If you don't already, try washing your hands with unscented soap and don't touch any food before handling to make sure they don't smell like anything she might think could be tasty.
When giving her treats, try setting them down in front of her rather than handing it to her directly with your fingers, so that she doesn't associate your fingers with food quite as much.
I would keep handling her so that she continues to familiarize herself with your fingers and learn that they're nothing fun to chew on.
If it gets too bad, I think that there is some sort of spray that you can put on your hands that tastes very bad and would discourage hammies from wanting to taste you anymore. I've never had a need to use it though so I don't know what it's called or anything else about it, so I would make sure to research it before going that route to make sure it's safe and everything.

Most of my hamsters have all started out trying to chew my fingers, but all eventually stopped. Some stopped quickly, some kept trying for ages before they eventually decided my fingers weren't all that interesting anymore. That being said, I've never had any that were SUPER bad about it, so I don't know for sure if those methods will work for hamsters that are very determined to bite.

Good luck with her!
PuppyMintMocha is offline   Reply With Quote