View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Ragna’s cage set up

I am setting up a YouTube account to post videos of Ragna on the forum. I took a video of him exploring his new domain. It was fascinating but I had to go to sleep as it was late but was able to sit and watch him getting busy.

The first thing he did was explore his house at the top. He then went to the bottom of his cage and guess what? He began burrowing immediately and the potplant holders used as a platform were perfect. He tried to burrow up but there wasn't enough room to get up between the logs etc. I could see that I needed to put more bedding in. I had enough space with the boredom breaker mats I used against the mesh so could put more in.

I left him to enjoy his space and this morning he wasn't in his house. He had peed in his toilet in the house and there were droppings in the corner so he had slept in there a bit. I had layered the bedding with megazorb and Fitch and noticed that outside of two of the potplant holders was megazorb. Ragna had moved to a nest he must have dug out of the potplant holders. I then made a decision to increase the amount of bedding. I took all those bendy bridges I had spare - hahahaha and carried on next to the mats to block up the mesh. I then raised the level of bedding so it's 10 inches for about two thirds of th cage and the rest varies around 8 inches besides the area where the wheel and Arabian commissioned sand bath is(giggle). I did wake him up but he went back into his nest. I made improvements to the house and he now has deeper bedding if he wants to burrow. There is also more room from him to come up if he wants to tunnel up. I will send pictures of the set up this evening and a picture and video of Ragna.

I am worried though that the bedding is too steep for him to climb up. I had the normal log in place - birch - and took away the fences and placed the thin branch across as a foot hold. Where the platform is by the coconut the bedding now comes right under it. I placed his mini water bowl with pebbles on that platform with a bendy bridge to his house. It will make sense when I have sent pictures. Can hamsters get up a slight slope?
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote