Thread: DIY Bin Cage
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 08:19 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Bin Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Looks very neat! Excellent! The sides look great and plenty of ventilation there. I can't work out the lid - it looks like a grid under the lid but it's solid? It could do with the lid being "meshed" as well really. The good thing about the grids is you can re-use them if you ever make another bin cage

How big is the bin actually? It looks quite tall but hard to tell how long/deep it is. It does sound adorable hearing her jumping from her wheel onto a slide. They are funny little things and do enjoy their wheels etc. Our last syrian, when he was young, used to run really fast and then leap out of the wheel and flop on the substrate looking happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Looks very neat! Excellent! The sides look great and plenty of ventilation there. I can't work out the lid - it looks like a grid under the lid but it's solid? It could do with the lid being "meshed" as well really. The good thing about the grids is you can re-use them if you ever make another bin cage

How big is the bin actually? It looks quite tall but hard to tell how long/deep it is. It does sound adorable hearing her jumping from her wheel onto a slide. They are funny little things and do enjoy their wheels etc. Our last syrian, when he was young, used to run really fast and then leap out of the wheel and flop on the substrate looking happy.
Can't take an ounce of credit for any of the work, really. My father-in-law insisted on handling it all. Even the brain work part was done mostly by you hamster veterans on this forum, and YouTube videos!

The lid hasn't been cut yet, hence it's just sketched out. My father-in-law won't let me use any of his tools as he said it's too hard for me, so I told him to give it a rest first because he's almost 70 years old and I didn't want to tire him out too much.

It's not that big, just about 512 square inches of floor space, and I'm still wondering about how I can improvise and add platforms to it in future. I am hoping it helps that Louise is a Robo (small-sized). Not much of a hurry though, since she already has basic amenities and seems to really like the cooling ceramic cup that you suggested. There are lots of other things that I need to work out as well, such as where to get her proper bathing sand etc.

Awww, your Syrian sounds sooo adorable, I could just imagine him diving excitedly into a pile of substrate. It's just so heart-meltingly sweet and I really like listening to them enjoying themselves!
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote