View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 AM  
LilacTofu
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Help with homemade mix sources

So basically, not knowing what happens to be in each and every bite you eat, nutritionally speaking, is consuming an "unsuitable diet"? See, I really can't follow that reasoning. That's the kind of thinking I had back as a teenager when I was diagnosed with an eating disorder. If you're eating healthy food and at least putting in a bit of effort, then you're most likely doing alright. Humans (and all animals that have the fortune of "managing" their own diets) don't die from vitamin deficiencies for the most part because they have access to a wide variety of foods.

My hamsters' diet is just as species appropriate as yours is. That is to say, not very species appropriate at all but it doesn't really matter as long as the hams in question are healthy. Hamsters in the wild do not eat a restrictive diet like most captive hams are subjected to and they also do not drink tea or consume yogurt, but in my defense the dosage makes the poison with caffeine and tea contains antioxidants so while it isn't technically necessary, neither are a lot of other things tbh. That doesn't mean it can't be beneficial. Moderation is key with a lot of things.

I also don't really understand how vegetables and fruits (and the other things my lil' man gets to eat) can be compared at all to chicken nuggets and cheeseburgers just because I don't sit there and micromanage his diet. Olive oil has the same sort of unsaturated fats that sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have for example, but I did not have any actual seeds on hand and I wanted to give him a bit of fat since everything else he had that night was pretty much fat free.

Last edited by LilacTofu; 07-07-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo