Thread: DIY Bin Cage
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:48 PM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Bin Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I know for sure that scattered around Malaysia, especially in Phanang and Lang Kwai..sorry about the spelling...they have international schools. International schools have sandpits for their kindergarten kids. They must get it from somewhere. If you are someone who can approach them go for it because they would need to have children’s play sand. There are lots of Chinese shops and those cheap shops that sell all sorts...they will have ceramic things and you can use things from those shops for your hamster. Victoria Racheal on YouTube has a video on a dollar tree haul. It’s the same as those cheap shops.

Can you not ask your family member if they have pliers and you buy the rabbit cage and clip off the grid at the bottom? Would that work? The mesh we got was very bendy and came rolled up so we unrolled itand literary placed it over the cage, use cable ties and used pliers to cut it. It was very easy to cut.

If you have IkEA thought the samla bin might be much better as far as adjusting. You will figure it out and when Louise is settled and loving life this would be such a success for you. Don’t the markets there sell lots of coconut shell things you could use for your hamster? You could make your cage an island theme using coconuts for all sorts.

I went to one of those cheap shops and I found a gift shoebox. Will attach a picture tire of it. I then cut holes in for a house. I know for sure that you have lots of wood and coconuts your side. Go onto YouTube and watch German natural habitat cages and it’s full of wood logs, driftwood, pebbles etc. just make sure the wood is safe for your hamster and pebbles are washed properly. Malaysia has stunning natural woods and logs etc. You are actually very lucky if you’re into natural looking habitats.

Go into the markets with fresh eyes...go in and look all everything asking yourself if you could use it for your hamster. I know for a fact that they have ceramic things at garden places. I went on a cruise through Malaysia and saw garden places amongst the markets.
Oh, I think you meant Penang and Langkawi! I have never been there before sadly... The sandpits here feel kinda dirty to me. We do have sand and pebbles in general but I'm not sure how safe they are if they are just lying around on the floor. I actually collect pebbles so I already have a few. Any preferred way to disinfect them? I would like to give her a pebble for her teeth. The mineral stones sold in shops here are multi-coloured and has strange ingredients like salt etc written in the packaging. I'm still trying to figure out whether those are safe.

Yes we have coconuts, I believe I can buy one easily and hollow it out. Ceramics we do have plenty too, I was just hoping for an easy ready-made pet housing, but I couldn't find anything suitable. So I'll definitely look for other types of ceramics and repurpose it, this will be quite easy.

Oh, I'm glad you posted that photo because I had been wondering for a while if I could get that metal dish for her as well. Yep, thanks for your challenge, I am certainly trying to keep my eyes peeled for stuff to repurpose, and of course, visit more pet shops. It may be that I'm just haven't been going to the right pet shops.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote