Thread: DIY Bin Cage
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 11:30 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Bin Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I lived in Bangkok for 5 years and they had pet souqs where you could buy anything pet related you wanted. It’s traumatising seeing the animals but head me out...if you used your head and went in blinkered and found the stalls and shops in the souq that sell cages etc...I remember seeing Kaytee products there when I through one. You would be surprised how many awesome things you could get for your hamster. I don’t know if you’re in Thailand but if not Hong Kong and Japan are amazingly stocked. China is also full of awesome pet things. If you’re not in those countries then Amazon and other online shops sell.

I totally understand and respect that you aren’t into the DIY. I never was either until my hubby and I bought equipment and made a mission of doing a DIY per month but that’s also costly so totally understand.

Sorry for saying Bangkok all the time but I noticed in Asia - Vietnam, Cambodia etc all had the same kind of little hardware stores like Bangkok has - dotted around like 7/11’s. You could buy the mesh there. If not, your local petshop will be able to tell you where to go.

If you are in Bangkok by some miracle...you might be able to find a bin that is double the size in Chatuchak market - you never know!

Your hamster is blessed to have an owner who wants the best for it. Keep trying to find ways...I’m in Saudi now and it’s tough this side too with the language barrier etc.
Unfortunately, I'm in Malaysia. I really can't find any ready made proper sized cages. The pet shops here don't seem that well-equpped with suitable stuff. I was dubiously eyeing an aquarium that was slightly smaller than the recommended minimum 450 square inches, and the shop assistant stared at me like I was crazy because he knew I "only" had a hamster. He kept recommending smaller cages to me instead. I haven't even managed to find any chinchilla sand or ceramic housing for my baby. I'm gonna give a few more places a try, otherwise I might have to ship the sand in from overseas and make do with ceramic cups. The bathing sand they have here is scented and I feel that is really bad.

I'm not good at DIY but it shouldn't be that hard... Besides I'm blessed with a father-in-law that is really good at this stuff. He was drawing happily on the lid at 1 am, sketching out how best to cut it open... I'm so touched. I do want to try and do it myself but I am sure he can easily help me get the job done if need be. I'll certainly need to go look for new wire mesh, sand paper, masking tape etc when the shops open.

My other hamster just died (cause unknown) within 3 days of purchase and I was really ripped up about it. It made me paranoid about my little Louise and I worry so much about her. I've only had her for less than a week and I have so much more to learn from you awesome veterans. <3
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote