Thread: DIY Bin Cage
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Bin Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I have attached a picture of the rabbit cage I bought. It was cheaper than the biggest samla bin at IkEA. It’s 100cmx50cm...I used bendy wire mesh to put over it. I cut along where the doors were etc.

If you search on this forum attaching water bottle to bins you will come up with threads that cover that. If you can’t find anything look on YouTube. Your hamster shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of your lid where the mesh would be because it’s high up. If you are worried sand them down a bit.

Please send pictures of what you decide to do...so exciting!
Your rabbit cages is so lovely! Unfortunately the rabbit cages here aren't suitable, the shop assistant told me the bottom is barred and a hamster would probably injure her feet. Yeah, I have been trying to watch so many videos. I'm not that good with this kinda handicraft stuff and I don't think I have the proper tools... But it's not rocket science and I'm an adult with people who can help, so I trust if I try hard enough, I can end up with a reasonable enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
You should be able to mesh side vents without sharp edges ok. If the mesh overlaps the outside of the cut plastic and is the mesh edges are then stuck down with masking tape.

The cut edges of the plastic you can easily smooth with a bit of sanding paper - would only take about 10 minutes. Have a look at some of these below for ideas. I actually think you do need ventilation front, back and top - ventilation is really important.

Even without tape over the external mesh edges, a robo is very unlikely to be able to get out between the mesh and plastic if fixed with cable ties. Our robo is in a barred cage (7mm bar spacing) and wouldn't be able to get through the bars.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...w=1366&bih=604

I'm guessing you're in the US? Our robo is in this cage (without the metal grid shelf). It's a very good cage and I like the big front opening door - makes it easier to interact with the hamster. It's not cheap though.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Animal-...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Yes, I think masking tape would help prevent escapes! Wasn't sure if masking tape would be safe for hamsters at first.

Noted on the ventilation part, I think I won't put a cloth over the bin then, but I'll find her some dark cave-like housing in the corner so that she can hide in there instead if she feels like getting some privacy. Thanks for the 7mm bar spacing measurement, that should help me with figuring out what's "escape-proof" while I ruminate on how I can do this.

Unfortunately I am from South East Asia and that cage doesn't ship to my country. A lot of those things aren't available here. I have already bought the biggest bin I could find today.. But I still need to work on the other stuff (wire mesh, setting it up, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I personally would go for mesh that is the biggest size that is safe to use for a hamster without it getting out to give it as much ventilation as possible. That’s my personal choice. There might be members who have used this mesh and can advise. Can’t wait to see pictures ☺️☺️☺️
Hmm.. I will have to explore the available options to find a better mesh then. Will look into it by tomorrow, I'm really keen to have this bin set up for my little Louise soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
I would use actual metal mesh. That looks like plastic, and if it is more plastic-y or like a soft fabric type mesh you really shouldn't use that as it could get chewed through. Another potentially unsafe mesh would be vinyl coated mesh, since the vinyl coating can be chewed off and that isn't digestible.

While it isn't widely known with hamsters, using mesh that is too small has caused serious harm to other rodents such as gerbils since teeth can get stuck and potentially even pulled out if the spacing is too small(whether mesh or cage bars).
Okay, will definitely take your advice and Schwartzie's advice on the mesh and be careful not to use unsafe mesh. Really appreciate all the help here!
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote