Thread: DIY Bin Cage
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Bin Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
You get a great bin cage from IKEA biggest Samla bin size they have. This bin is high and I doubt that your Robo would ever be anywhere near the top lid where you would cut a rectangular shape and place mesh on the underside of the lid. The gaps where the cable ties go are tiny, just big enough for the cable tie to fit through. A Robo or even minute mouse would never get through. Your mesh would have to be a small size.

This is an example of a video you could use but there are tons on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/i5e-2yKLX2Q

You don’t need to make any ventilation on the sides at all if your ventilation at the top is big enough. You need enough ventilation so use the lid to create that ventilation and use mesh.

I have included a picture of a small travel box for my hamster but it’s the same as what you would do for the bin cage.

I am not too sure what you mean by putting a smaller cage into the bin. It might take up unnecessary space? Why not use the space in the bin to create an amazing habitat for your hamster and leave the small cage for a travel cage?
Wow... I love your travel box, it's just so pretty and sweet! Neatly done too, as if it was factory made and store bought. Mine probably won't look half as nice but I'd be happy as long as it is functional, safe, comfortable. I really can't find any big cages here (the ones for birds or rabbits are not suitable).

Whoa, the Samla range looks great. I've had my eye on one elsewhere but it wasn't that ideal, about 458 square inches only and I was still trying to look up more. I'm so glad you pointed me to this range, now I have better options.

Hmm. Your comments make sense. I'll think I will put the cage in the bin first so she can acclimatise at her own pace... She is very very new and had quite a stressful move-in. After that, I will have to reconsider leaving it in permanently once she's gotten used to it. But how do I clip on the water bottle if I remove the cage and there's no wire/mesh on the sides of the bin? In fact, the gaps of the mesh I am planning to use is a little small so I can't clip anything on it.

h and yep, the mesh should be the small type, that was a bad drawing of mine, sorry! I know why you suggested putting the mesh on the underside, because she won't be able to push against it and escape that way. But if the mesh is on the underside, I'm worried the ends might be a tad sharp... I will try to file them down of course but I'm quite paranoid about doing something wrong. How do you treat the ends of the mesh?
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote