View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Playpen and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
So no it is not 100% necessary to have a playpen, and some hamsters will just spend their time trying to escape the playpen (no enclosed space is every big enough!). Many people think it is better than using a hamster ball for exercise though. I think a hamster ball can be ok very occasionally for a very short time (10 mins max) but is more useful for carrying the hamster from the cage to a playpen or the bathtub! Hamster ball probably isn't an option with cats.

They can just have out of cage playtime with you on top of a bed, or go in a pet carrier or another cage at cleaning time.
Thanks so much for your explanation and videos/pictures Serendipity7000...I’m a visual person so it really helps to see what you’re talking about. Our cats have cat highways along the walls, cat towers and cat tv but they also claim lying from time to time on the bed. If I let Ragna have some time out of the cage would it be ok if the bed had had the cats on it previously? With cat smells...how bad is it for a hamster? Would lingering scents freak him out? I’m actually finding this very interesting because one doesn’t think about how far scents go with hamsters? I don’t want to settle Ragna then begin taming process and mess it all up after one session out of the cage because I wasn’t aware of what Ragna was going through.

Thanks again for always being so helpful! Your advice has played a large part in my road to Ragna...thanks!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote