View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:26 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Playpen and space

I was going through the forum and stumbled upon playpens. I’ve also seen playpens used on YouTube when owners have been spot cleaning or cleaning out their complete cage - won’t be doing that because I don’t want to stress Ragna out. I was under the impression that it optional but found a thread where it came across as something you need to have.

What exactly is a playpen? Meaning, why have one? If you’re cleaning out the cage you can use your travel box? If the cage has enough enrichment do you need to have your hamster in another area? Do you duplicate your cage in the playpen? I have seen bridges, hideouts etc...doesn’t this stress out your hamster because it’s new smells and it is away from its home and place to burrow? Do you put specific objects in a playpen? How big is it?

We live in a small villa so there is no space to keep a playpen out permanently and storing it would also be difficult. We have two large cats and they “own” the rest of the house - will be keeping Ragna in his own area but any other area is cat domain full of the cats scents. I wouldn’t be able to have an open area with walls because the cats could jump in and I don’t even want to think about that conclusion.

If I bought another cage 100cmx50cm and ran a tunnel between the two would that be ok as a substitute for a playpen? Is a playpen about more space or change of scenery?

Your advice is always so appreciated.

Last edited by Schwartzie; 07-05-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote