View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 12:26 PM  
hamster thorn
Newborn Pup

Default Re: How to enrich the cage of a hamster who hates my guts..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
It's not the cage decorations and stuff I dislike here in Germany. I do DIY stuff all the time and am planning a diy cage right now. What bothers me is that we don't have any variety in substrates. We only have wood chippings or wooden cat litter pellets. No paper based substrates, no hemp bedding. Except online of course but for way more money than in other countries because I have to import it. I've had a few hamsters that seemed to be allergic to the wood based substrate, but I can't do anything about it except using pellets which are not really an amazing alternative.

Oh, that makes sense! But we do have hemp bedding, have you checked fressnapf or zooplus? I currently use it for my long haired Syrian, but hemp bedding is also wood based, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a long haired male syrian because the tunnel systems collapse quickly in it I have to use it because everything else gets tangled in his fur, but you'd really have to press down a lot and add a lot of hay to make the tunnels hold somewhat.

Zooplus sells paper based bedding (or the used to, not sure about now) but it is quite expensive, you're right
But is there a specific reason you want to change beddings? Is your current hamster allergic to wooden bedding? And are you sure it's not just that the bedding is too dusty? Many hamsters get really irritated by dusty bedding, and sadly a lot of beddings are dusty

Have a lovely day!
hamster thorn is offline   Reply With Quote