View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 01:52 AM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: should i change from syrians????

Yeah between the species the care for a single hamster is fairly similar, syrians can be a bit harder to keep happy (bar biting, escaping etc) but no huge differences.

Keeping pairs or groups is a whole other kettle of fish. You need another cage on standby anyway in case they start fighting (it can very quickly escalate), the cage needs to be large enough for enough hides (all with multiple entrances), two wheels, two water bottles, two food bowls if you use them etc etc so they can't get territorial over food/water/wheels. Even if there's no fighting you can find the less dominant ham losing weight because they're being kept from food. On the other hand if the cage is too large it can make them more likely to carve out their own spaces so honestly it's a bit of a minefield.

Just as another note; I don't think it's safe to have two hamsters out in their balls at the same time. I have never known a ham that didn't escape from one eventually and you really don't want them meeting accidentally. Glad you've been lucky with that so far but... please don't risk it.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote