View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Re: I Really Need Advice on Dealing with my Anxious Hamster

I haven’t got my hamster yet but been chatting to owners on the forum in length about substrate and bedding. What type of substrate are you using? Maybe you can go for a substrate that absorbs the pee well and you then can leave it longer and when you have to clean you only have to do little sections at a time to not freak her out. Is she peeing in her nest on her food? If not, leave it be...you won’t need to clean it if she isn’t peeing in the nest. There are great substrates out there.....research Kaytee soft and cozy, megazorb, Fitch...so many more. They all hold the pee well and don’t smell so you only have to spot clean then do sections like a said slowly over weeks or even months.

Please could an experienced hamster owner please kindly fill in the blanks here...if her hamster isn’t peeing directly in the nest area she can leave it right or if there isn’t fresh food going rotten?

There is a thread that is very helpful called substrate in UK I think and other threads as well. I honestly think that if you switch to a better absorber it won’t smell therefore you will be able to clean in mass never.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote