View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Re: House pictures please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Are you planning on a Syrian or dwarf?
I think your final layout will depend on your hamster.
Mine doesn't build tunnels or dig in his cage, he only digs when annoyed which he hasn't been lately because he now has a layout he likes.
It's a shame Rodipet doesn't ship but what about the Ferplast guinea pig house from Amazon? I cut the roof into two sections to be able to take Henry's small corner toilet out for cleaning without disturbing him in his nest. It has a big entrance and sometimes people put a small bendy tunnel there like a porch but i didn't because my hamster closes the door by shovelling substrate. The design is so simple because the four walls slot into each other so no glueing or pins required and comes as a flat pack. You could make one or get a friend to post one. I would definitely recommend a house with a removable top so you don't have to lift the whole thing up when spot cleaning and risk the nest falling apart. I hope you're going to post a photo once you've set it all up. I'm really looking forward to see it.
Thanks Ria. I’m getting a Syrian. I’m a little confused...please help me understand something. Do you have a little toilet with sand in it, inside your house plus an area of sand for your hamster to use or roll in? Is that how it works? If I could use a small container to place inside the house then I can go with the Trixie Leif house and leave the big sand area I planned to create which would leave so much more room to add more logs etc.

I’ve read a few times that Syrians aren’t big in rolling in their sand baths. Is it ok to leave out a sandbath and just use the sand inside the house?
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote