View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM  
MaryRobinson
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Mimi: the Syrian who just can’t stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
I've had two girls like this. My carpet was just trashed with the first. I blocked off the corners with boxes, a table, more boxes, paper bags etc and just watched her every minute. I could pull her away when she got through the boxes to the actual carpet which saved it a bit. My girl now has a good bit of wallpaper peeled off the wall.

Some of them are just really really high energy and need to be exploring as hard as possible at all times. If you have a room without carpet I would try and make that hamster safe, I used a hallway but then had to block off the bottom of the doors because she would chew that too. It doesn't mean they're unhappy, some of them are just extreme hams.

Saying that, giving her some more time to settle in wouldn't hurt. She might calm down once she's properly settled. She seems like an old lady to be such a holy terror. When you do get her out again you could also try setting up cardboard mazes or leaving boxes around stuffed with paper for her to work her way into. Maybe put her wheel out during playtime too so she feels like she has somewhere secure to go if she's getting a bit frazzled. It's probably going to be trial and error till you find something that works to keep her from being destructive. I deeply loved my destructo-ham and I wouldn't have changed her for the world, I know it's a pain but you're not going to get emotionally attached to a carpet really.
Ahhh...now that’s interesting. Sounds very familiar! So I’ve put tissue boxes in the corners and had all her toys out: vine wood, digging tower, wheel, boxes, tubes, logs, a wooden hide and cork tunnel... She ignored them all. The paper stuffed boxes sound a good idea. I just feel she’s unhappy and it’s mean keeping her as a domestic animal, really- she wants to be roaming the dessert chasing boy hams!!

Yeah, I was being flippant about the carpet but was getting a bit desperate about what to do for her. She absolutely doesn’t mind handling but doesn’t seek it out either. I might bathtub train her next time perhaps??
MaryRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote