View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default House pictures please

I had a laugh this morning when I went over my shopping list and I have completely changed my list since starting this journey. My list has adapted and evolved as I’ve learnt and it was really fun comparing.

At the top of my list was the Trixie Leif labyrinth hamster house which I was completely mad about because of its size and being able to lift the lid. It was only after I sat down and drew my 100cmx50cm area and all my things I wanted to put into it when I realized that this fab house was going to be too big. If you picture my cage length ways...it’s got about 7inches plastic base with mesh. I’m going to try and describe the layout I’m wanting...I’m wanting to do two layers of megazorb so it’s like steps using plant holders with the deepest part around the house in the right back corner of the cage. It will be like living on top of a mountain top with your house perched on top. I’m hoping this will encourage more digging and will be deeper than 10inches. If I was to go with the Trixie house I wouldn’t be able to create two levels because it would be too long.

I then decided to go with a Zille reptile habitat decor hideout bark bends small size and was going to face the smaller side towards the wall and use megazorb to cover up the other side. I also have a bark log that I will use to place over the hole instead of a bridge. The thought then occurred to me that I would have to lift up the entire piece of bark to spot clean. Would that be a problem? If The hamster doesn’t use that as it’s toilet would lifting it only when I do a big clean and that area is up for cleaning be ok?

Please, I would be so grateful if other owners wouldn’t mind sending pictures of their house layout and what it looks around it so I have an idea of what other people do. I’m going all natural so I’m using mainly bark and logs and earthy styles. My aim is for my hamster to start digging under its house and pop out through one of the pot holders on the second level. I then hope it will try digging on the first level and pop out through the pot holders on the floor. This is probably a long shot but I am trying to provide opportunities for the hamster to create tunnels. I was also thinking of placing pot holders submerged in the megazorb under the scattered logs I’m using to encourage it to create tunnels like that too.

I’m just struggling to picture the layout around the house. I went through the threads of cage layouts but they are too far on most of them so it’s hard to see.

I would so appreciate ideas from others.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote