View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM  
Hope
Retired Moderator

Default Re: urgent help needed with hole in cage!

Hi rowan, I have been having a similar problem with Philomena. She is in a zoo zone 2 cage which has little notches in the base where it meets the lid that are just shaped to fit hammies teeth! I've had other females in this cage with no issues but Phil just loves to chew. She didn't chew through in one night so I was able to monitor her chewing and take action according to how bad it was. First off I just blocked the areas with turned up bendy bridges wedged into the substrate. This stopped her for the most part but one particular area she just loved too much and did make a hole, thankfully not big enough for her to escape from but a hole none the less. This i was able to fix with a big bolt and a large washer to cover the hole. I was then worried that she would just continue to chew the metal and do damage to her teeth but thankfully for now at least it seems to have put her off chewing that area all together. She hasnt (fingers crossed) so far taken up the habit on any other area either. I have managed to pick up a large glass tank second hand which is on standby just in case but would rather keep her in the zoo zone if I can as the tank is soooooooooooo heavy!. Sure you have tried most things by now but you are not alone with this issue. Another thing i do which is largely against most normal advice is change her cage around just a little bit every few days. I change over chew toys and treat sticks give her different cardboard boxes and hide treats for her to find. This seems to keep her busy exploring new things rather than chewing. I also try to limit her out of cage time to short bursts of 10 minuets or so. I find the longer she is out the more riled up and destructive she gets. As soon as she starts getting too giddy i pop her back in and let her settle again. I think you have to kinda cherry pick the advice and just try different things and see what you feel works best for her. Hope you can come up with a solution to stop your determined little lady.

Last edited by Hope; 06-20-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote