View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 PM  
Charbeaner
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Super smelly and losing hair

Ooh lots of questions and suggestions thank you!

She just turned 1

Her skin is healthy looking, no redness, no flaking, nothing, just the hair loss. The hair loss is on both sides of her flanks and on her belly. I’ll see if I can get a picture

We had her on Kaytee paper bedding but she smelled worse on that. Her fur got all dirty and greasy and unkempt looking. Our other hamster seemed to react to it too and is doing better on the pine

If we don’t clean her cage frequently it makes the whole living room stink. We do try to spot clean first and just change the litter box and then clean the whole thing if spot cleaning doesn’t help.

We don’t use disinfectant, I use super hot water and dish soap and then rinse well.

I do use kiln dried Pine, and sometimes Aspen. I never use cedar.

Both vets had a feel of her abdomen and neither thought it was Pyometra

Her water consumption or the water bottle chewing, whatever it was has since returned to normal.

She does sleep in a closed house, I can remove that and make her a little tissue nest instead

The stuff we have is called Chinchilla Dust Bath. It is all the stores here carry.

I am not in the US, I live in a small Northern Town in BC Canada with the nearest “exotic vet” an 8 hour drive away. The vet who we see each month (the locum who is 1.5 hrs away) is quite experienced and I trust him. He’s been dealing with our guinea pig and his multiple health issues for months now and he knows his stuff.

I am starting to think that the smell is just from her being in heat and I just have a sensitive nose. She has smelled great ever since we washed her the other day (her fur was sooo gross and Now she’s all fluffy and smells clean - don’t worry this was her first and last bath, we were desperate)

The hair loss is baffling though. I’ve had multiple guinea pigs with mites and their skin was always a mess underneath the hair loss from the scratching .
Charbeaner is offline   Reply With Quote