View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 08:30 AM  
rowan22
Hamster Pup

Exclamation urgent help needed with hole in cage!

Hi there, again... (i feel like all I do is post questions on this forum!)
Last night I returned home from work at 6am to find my lovely, angelic hamster had chewed a syrian hamster sized hole right in the side of her Barney cage. After searching the cage and a quick scan of the room I managed to find her underneath the cupboard her cage was on (bit of a boring escape - she didn't even explore!!).

I do not have a spare 'cage' for her at the moment, only a travel cage and a small play-box. (kind of like an ikea samla but small).

So, at 6am, I had to panic to find a temporary solution to this problem! In my panic I didnt manage to get a photograph of the hole, but, its a hamster-shaped hole in the top corner of the base of the Barney cage.

I know there is a thread on here about fixing holes in cages but their suggestion is to patch up the hole with thin plastic and in my case I think my lovely girl is just too determined - I'd give it one night before she chewed her way through that too.

I was thinking about maybe using Plexiglass to cover the hole since I'm fairly certain she wouldn't be able to chew through it. However, I need some help - what adhesive can i use to stick it over the hole? Also, should i stick it on the outside and the inside?

Are there any other solutions to this? I can't really afford to get a glass tank which is big enough because I'm a student and I work in a bar! I know the ikea detolf would be amazing and is my absolute dream cage but I live in a student accommodation where I have to hide my hamsters cage from my landlord whenever they come round, which can be as frequent as once a month sometimes. Unless anyone has any good tips on how to disguise a detolf as a piece of furniture

Oh, also, my hamster has plenty of chew toys! She has loads of whimzee aligators, carrot chews, wicker balls, and almost everything in her cage is wood which she is free to chew so I don't know why she insists on torturing me like this.

Please, please, if anyone has any suggestions can you help me because I'm struggling here!
rowan22 is offline   Reply With Quote