View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 02:13 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Super smelly and losing hair

How old is she? I do think it sounds like infection to smell that bad and it may be she has discharge from internally without you realising. Particularly as it improved after Baytril and then got worse again. Female hamsters can get pyometra (infection of the womb I think it is) and that is quite serious and difficult to treat. As I understand it, it can rarely be solved by antiobiotics alone and does usually mean spaying - which may work for some time but it can still come back as an internal infection in that region.

I am not sure that would explain the fur loss. Fur loss can be caused by allergy to bedding etc as well - but if she doesn't have sore skin or scratching it sore that sounds unlikely.

The smell will be less with pine shavings as the pine is quite a strong smell and will mask it. As you're in the US, you need to be careful using pine shavings, unless it states they are kiln dried or dust extracted, as if not kiln dried, the phenols in the pine can be harmful. Cedar shavings shouldn't be used.

Cleaning out twice a week could also do more harm than good - as all their familiar scent is removed which makes them scent mark more or even pee on things to scent mark them and can cause overproductive scent glands. Bit of a catch 22 if the smell is very bad.

And assume you have had her a while and this is just a recent issue. A paper based bedding like Boxo or Kaytee clean and cozy would be better to rule out any allergy risk and if you put a good deep amount in - eg 4" to 6" deep, then you can "spot clean" the substrate and not have to change the whole lot for at least a month (under normal conditions) - which would help reduce stress for her or over scenting things. Also changing the sand regularly of course.

Some hamsters have had skin issues from sand. Is it Chinchilla bathing sand you're using and not dust? But it sounds like that is needed if she uses it as a toilet.

Handwashing between feeding/handling hamsters and their cages needed now in case of infection.

I am not sure if you're aware also (assume you are as you sound to have had at least one of the hamsters for a while) but female hamsters do come on heat every 4 days and can have quite a pungent smell at that time. Some hamsters more than others - and some people notice it more than others. That is generally quite a musky smell though I believe.

Does is smell like that? Infection and discharge would be more foul smelling like something rotting possibly.

It is really difficult if you don't have an exotic vet nearby. How far is the nearest one?

As Souffle says, you could go and ask for a few investigations to try and narrow down the diagnosis, like a skin scraping to check for mites or other skin conditions - and mention the possibility of womb infection.

I think personally, if the vets are not that experienced in hamster conditions and they are not confident about spaying then there is a need to find a vet who is confident about spaying. Spaying her may sort it if it is an internal infection of the womb - and at least may help prevent pyometra if it isn't (just my thought on that by the way). But only if a vet is confident about the surgery or that wouldn't be an option.

I noticed you posted on the cushings thread as well. That is also difficult to diagnose, because older hamsters do get fur loss and drink more and pee more as well.

It would help to know how old she is?

Last edited by Pebbles82; 06-15-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote