View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Beginner feeling totally overwhelmed!

Harry Hamster is a decent mix. Basic, easily available. So you could start there. Or yes the rodipet mixes have an excellent rep. I mix a big of Harry Hamster with a bag of the syrian bunny dream (pieces too small to really feed on its own) with one tube of thrive freeze dried chicken and I can't remember exactly what the GA is but I did calculate it and it's fine. That's all weighed and in a box and then everything else on top of that is surplus. So I don't calculate anything I consider a treat or any fresh veg. I deal with my own diet the same way tbh.

You're correct that you shouldn't pick things out of commercial mixes or all your numbers are useless. If you're determined to have them get the Perfect Balance you don't feed more until they eat the bits they like the least. Some people get very concerned with the Perfect Balance and I get that a good diet is important but... Every ham is different anyway, I don't believe every ham is going to do best on the same nutrient %s, they will still feed selectively to an extent no matter how tough love you get and getting a mix that's good for them that they'll eat, that's affordable and convenient and reliably available is a lot of variables. It's never going to line up perfectly so try not to get too stressed! Perfect is the enemy of the good!
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote