View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 12:21 PM  
angelleighr
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Urgent help! Hunched baby Roborovski Dwarf Hamster!!

I just got a baby Roborovski Dwarf hamster from a local pet store the day before yesterday. He is about half the size of my thumb and much tinier than the others that were there with him. They said he was somewhere under six months but that they had no idea exactly how old he is. The first night home, I noticed his tail was wet, but tried not to jump to conclusions. He is very active and social, and the first night home he hobbled up a bunch of food and took nut and seed treats from my hand. Last night and today, however, I noticed that he is walking with a noticeable hunch, which he did not have yesterday. I haven’t seen him eat and haven’t noticed any more food missing yet today unless he did it while I wasn’t home, and he won’t take treats today. His tail is sometimes wet and sometimes dry.
I don’t know if these things are normal because I’ve never had a hamster this young before. I’m extremely worried about the chances of wet tail, although I heard it’s extremely uncommon in robo dwarfs. I haven’t seen any poop (not solid or liquid) in the cage, but he’s so tiny that I don’t think I would notice them either way. I also don’t smell the distinct “wet tail smell”, but I don’t know how long it takes for them to have that scent.
Please let me know if you think I’m overreacting or if these things are normal for a baby! Thanks!
angelleighr is offline   Reply With Quote