View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 PM  
CharlieHamHam
Hamster Pup

Default How do I help my new hammy feel comfortable

Hey guys! I adopted my second hamster ever today! His name is Charlie and he is black and white Syrian. He is far more skidding than my first hamster, and I need some advice on making his life as safe and comfortable as possible.

I have been talking to him softly beside his cage for about half an hour today and he seems to be fine with it.
When ever I make the slightest movement he jumps around nervously and hides. I know he has been through a lot today though and I expect him to be scared.
I have not touched him or messed with him.
He has not been sleeping in his hut but in the corner of the cage behind the wheel. He is running a lot on his wheel. (He is SUPER speedy )
He has not been eating or drinking, but this happened with my first hamster on the first day so I don’t think it is a problem. (Let me know if I should be concerned!)
After a week I will start training him with treats in my hand.

Questions/Concerns:
1. I am using most of the old stuff from my previous Syrian. I bleached the cage and washed it out and washed the wheel, hut, and water bottle with soap and water. I am still concerned though that Charlie can smell my old hammy and it may stress him out. I can’t afford an entirely new setup, but I can get a new cage (large sterlite container) if you guys think I should.

2. His poop is very wet, and I think it is because of stress and different food, but should I be worried?

3. Should I start encouraging him to sleep in the hut or let him sleep in the corner?

Thanks a bunch everyone for reading this
CharlieHamHam is offline   Reply With Quote