View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 AM  
Periwinkle
Newborn Pup

Unhappy How much squabbling is too much? (Time to separate?)

I recently rescued a Male Campbell's dwarf pair from an accidental/unwanted litter. They were weaned and turned over to me at 3.5 weeks, and I did not witness their first squabble until a couple of weeks into ownership.

I have been keeping a very watchful eye on their fights and they seem to be over dominance (no signs of injury). However, I find it seems the dominant hamster doesn't know when to stop. He will flip the submissive ham over, let him squeak, then not 5 minutes later he will do it again, chasing him around constantly. And doing this multiple, multiple times in the night (the cage is near my bedroom, so I hear everything that happens very easily.)
To me, this almost seems like it's happening too often? I have doubles of everything, and they have over 1000 sq. Inches of space. I also have a backup cage ready to separate at a moments notice.

They still play together, bathe together, and sleep together approximately 50% of the time.

Although there hasn't been any blood drawn, I feel as though the submissive ham is probably stressed with his brother constantly doing this to him. It is also annoying for me to hear this 5 times per night, and have to get up each time to see if all is okay.

What are you guys' opinions? What would you do?
Periwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote