View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 AM  
merlin
Newborn Pup

Default Sticky left eye causes - old age? cold? other?

Hi friends:

Our dear little Arthur recently celebrated his 2nd birthday. He's shown typical signs of aging I believe, but for the most part is still is usual curious, energetic, and dynamic self. We recently moved to a new apartment and he has spent quite a bit of time excitedly exploring it (after initial understandable consternation and confusion).

Last night we noticed that his left eye was not fully open and seemed a bit sticky. He was squeaking earlier, which was unusual for the time of day (he often squeaks after his favourite breakfast). I have had a pretty bad cold for the last few days but have tried to refrain from my usual activities such as preparing his food and daily cleaning of his things (my wife has been filling in for me), and if necessary to be close to him, I wear a mask.

As we were playing last night (he free roams in the apartment with supervision) he eventually went under the bathroom sink, where I believe there were some small puddlets of water. He was washing himself there and then looked up suddenly. I then noticed that his eye was clear.

I've attached photos to see what you all think. I'm thinking he may have caught a bit of my cold, so I gave him some warm bread soaked in warm milk and honey last night, which has helped clear up his prior colds he's had in his life.

His eye looks ok now and we prefer not to take him to the vet unless absolutely necessary as it causes him stress, and for his older years we want to keep him as stress free as possible. We'll keep an eye on him, but if anyone has had experience with hamster eye issues, I would love to know more.

Best wishes for a lovely day to you and your beloved hammy(s),
M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_012214.jpg (247.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190611_012220.jpg (189.8 KB, 8 views)