View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 AM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Detolf hamster cage questions

1. No. Mangoandmimi is correct. The end pieces are slightly larger than the glass "box" so when it sits on the ground the entire bottom panel is unsupported. It might be fine like this with nothing inside it but as soon as you put bedding etc in it's going to start bending and it'll shatter. I have mine on two lack tables with a short section in the middle unsupported and it's fine but you need I'd say at least 60-70% of the length supported completely.

2) Cost will depend what you have available. You need just under 5m length of timber for two half-lids. It's sold in 2.4m lengths so 2 will do, these range from £4 to £9 each depending on the thickness and width and which one you have to go for will probably depend on what's in stock.

You should be able to get both sides done with one 900x600mm sheet of mesh which is about £8. Gorilla glue is about £6, connecting/ mending plates and nails (2x4pack) would be about £11, staples and a staple gun (light duty) is £7.25. I used glue and staples to attach the frame as well as the mesh, but nails and plates for the timber might feel more secure for you.

All prices above from B&Q. Total is between £26 and £42.

There are people who use oven trays as lids, I mostly see this in the US and I haven't done it myself so I can't speak to which ones are suitable etc but it could be something to look into.

3) It's okay. Mine has been taken down and moved 3 times now. It's a two person job and not letting the glass bend under it's own weight is a bit hair raising at times but it's doable.

4) We fit ours in a Polo but it was through the whole car. Front seat forward, back seat forward, parcel shelf off, me squeezed into the back seat beside it. Not ideal but doable!

5) What are the reasons YOU believe she needs it? Bar biting is stress behaviour, she can damage her teeth, the zoozone isn't *much* above what's considered the minimum cage size (it IS the absolute minimum in Germany) and she's obviously an active girl. It depends on your mum how you convey this tbh, if she would respond to facts then get her the facts, the cage is not "massive" it is just above minimum. Hamsters have huge territories in the wild, they are active, foraging animals etc etc If she would be more swayed by you explaining that your hamster is trying to tell you that she's unhappy and that she is in fact, hurting herself because of it then focus on that.

Ideally though this is not your mum's decision, other than the permission to take up the space. You can work this out yourself if you need to do extra chores for the money, rearrange your room to fit it in, do favours for favours to get the transport etc.

Last edited by Shannonmcn; 06-11-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote