View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM  
eleplantsy
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster care queries

@Serendipity7000

Thank you for the very detailed reply!! I do realize that cat litter wouldn't be the best since it doesn't hold any burrows. My initial thought was just to use it in the beginning while I figure out what other bedding to use since they're the only ones I know that are safe so far (other than the carefresh one which I feel are too expensive). I actually found that hemp bedding as well but I wasn't sure if they would be safe for hamsters but now I know so that's probably what I'd want to try now

I have already started freezing the food in preparation for the hamster so that's sorted for me hehe

I currently have the Alaska cage and luckily I found a pet store that actually has the minimum size policy where they will only let you get hamsters from them if they are of a suitable size so if you don't get a cage from them you'll have to show them a picture of your setup

How much sand do you normally go through? I'm wondering if there's a way to have a sand bath area separate to their litter area coz it seems a bit counter-productive to me to let them roll around in a place where they also toilet in XD I did hear that they tend to like doing their business in the sand bath though. What are your experience with commercial hamster litter pearls? Are they actually safe? Also, I saw that hamsters can actually use play sand which would work out cheaper but is there anything I need to do to sanitize it?

Also, thank you for the extra tips, especially with regard to their food hoard/nesting materials. I heard that too but couldn't really empathize with why they'd get that stressed out about it but the way you put it helped me understand. I will make sure my future fur baby won't think a mystery entity stole their food and messed with their home D:
eleplantsy is offline   Reply With Quote