View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 PM  
Nugget47
Newborn Pup

Default Is this a hybrid?

Hi!

I'm looking for some clarification and a little advice. We just bought a new hamster and we were under the impression that we had got a Syrian which is the breed we were looking for. However, after 10 days I started to worry that he didn't really look like any of the Syrians I had years ago, he looked more like a dwarf hamster! I did a little research and I think we have actually been sold a dwarf hamster - worse, a hybrid. I think (?) he might be a pudding/mandarin hybrid, but I am not sure... Can someone have a look at the photo and confirm this if possible?

We're obviously pretty upset as we were told it was a Syrian and we would never have bought a hybrid hamster had we known. If he is, then it's obviously a big thing here in HK as there are loads of them . But we have him now and have fallen in love with him, so we just have to deal with it. I complained to the pet shop but they just said - "Yes, Syrian, yellow hamster" Seriously?

What I am most worried about, is that if he is a hybrid, what health issues will he possibly have? I just want to do the best by him. So are there any recommendations on how to care for a hybrid or is is just pretty much the same as a dwarf? I had dwarf hamsters when I was young (but that was a loonnnggg time ago! ) so I can remember most things, I just want to make sure having a hybrid doesn't require anything else.

Thanks!

P.S. I have no idea if these image links work - fingers crossed they do! First one is the tank he was in, second one is of him only.

Nugget47 is offline   Reply With Quote