View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 AM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Best substrate for burrowing in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Incidentally I am not sure what the whole anti Fitch thing is at the moment as I have been using it for a few years, and still using it and don't have any issue with it whatsoever. It varies in colour and texture slightly sometimes, depending on what they have been recycling but it's good stuff, dust free and our hamsters love it. The occasional hard bit of paper but that does no harm and the occasional blue bit of paper which also does no harm. Never seen cardboard in it, but cardboard wouldn't do any harm either!

As Kaytee Clean and Cozy seems so popular at the moment I did try some but I still prefer Fitch.

Yes it has gone up from about £17 to £23 for a 10kg bag but a 10kg bag lasts me about 6 months with the Barney cage, or maybe even longer.
I might’ve just gotten a bad batch but the last bale I bought (over a year ago now) was very dusty (way more so than Carefresh) and irritated Stephano’s skin (he had severe dust allergies) so I stopped using it. But I’ve been meaning to try it again now none of my hams have allergies.

I’ve heard a few people on various places complain about the few pieces of coloured paper or card in fitch bevause theyre worried about their hamsters getting ink poisoning but that’s incredibly unlikely tbh.
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote