View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM  
PinkPanther

Default Bad experience with a veterinarian -- need advice

My little, about 10 week old Syrian hamster Crowley didn't accept any treats last night and sat hunched over in the corner. I noticed some loose stool as well. I gave him some bene-bac gel and observed him until the earliest exotic vet opened in our area. This is not my usual vet, I went to this clinic the first time in my life.
Shortly after we arrived at the clinic, Crowley started sneezing and shaking as well -- though it looked more like neurological bobbing, than shaking in fear or cold. I left him at the clinic for a check up. When I came back, he was even worse, now barely moves and just sits hunched over in the corner. The vet said it's a cold and that he is in pain -- why he is in pain is unknown and apparently I gave him my bacterial sinus infection, which according to my own doctor however is not contagious, because it's due to allergies. Then I was accused of feeding my hamster "junk food", though I filled out the form clearly with Oxbow pellets, some seeds and meal worms as a treat. Of course, I put meal worms in "pet taxi cage", because I just want Crowley to pick up anything at the moment.
The vet then gave me Metacam (0.5mg/ml) and I shall give him 0.04ml a day. He also gave me an antibiotic Enrofloxacin 22.7mg/ml (compounded) of which I give him also 0.04ml, but twice a day.

OMG, just while I'm writing this, Crowley got the shakes again and rolled over on his back, then had a hard time to get up and eventually walked slowly into another corner. He's now hunched up again. My heart is bleeding.

The vet also said, that it is OK, if a Syrian Hamster doesn't eat for two or three days, however I shall handfeed him water. Does this all sound right to you? Should I let Crowley rest for the night or take him to another vet?
PinkPanther is offline   Reply With Quote