Thread: Vets Leeds
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Vets Leeds

Hi. Glad you found a good vet. I had to give antibiotics and metacam (pain killer) to our robo recently - it is very difficult. Our robo is a "look don't touch" hamster as well - he got very stressed being handled.

So what to put the meds in. The Metacam is usually ok as it tastes of honey - you could probably put that in anything, or he may even lick it from the syringe (our robo hated the syringe so wouldn't lick it).

The Baytril tastes foul and they can avoid anything that it contains. I was very worried about getting the dose of that in our hamster daily. Vet said it was important they get the full dose each day or any infection can get worse.

So the options are - either pick them up and syringe it in the side of their mouth each day (wasn't an option for me!) or a great tip I received on here from Vectis, which worked really well - was to put it in a tiny bit of Country Hunter dog food.

That worked amazingly well - it's strong smelling and tasting and even with baytril in it was lapped up. In fact our robo liked it so much he started pushing the plate around wanting more!

It's a bit of wasteful expensive option if you don't have a dog, but honestly I found it a lifesaver. I bought this box of the dog food pouches and an open pouch could be used for 3 days (it says 48 hours in the fridge, so first night, then 2 consecutive nights, then I had to bin the rest!)

Just a teeny tiny amount - mix the baytril in a bit.

I did try other flavours but it was the beef that he liked and I think had the strongest taste to disguise the baytril.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for a while our robo was having cordon bleu dinners! I'd put the baytril in the beef at lunch time and tea-time he'd have dessert - the metacam in a tiny bit of baby food!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote