View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 02:27 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Annoying Little Jerk

It's because there doesn't look to be enough enrichment or floor area, hamsters need more than just chews and food in their bowls to be happy. Not sure exactly what cage that is but ideally it would be over 100x50cm, my Syrians haven't been happy in anything smaller and like you're witnessing, have bar chewed out of frustration. Bar chewing is so very common it's not that he's doing it to be annoying or anything of the sort, it's a stress behaviour that stems from a lack of enrichment or things to do.
The wheel, I think I already mentioned on another of your threads but it needs to be over 11 inches in diameter. That size you have looks too small and will be uncomfortable if not painful to run on. Cannot see how much bedding you have either but again it should ideally be a bare minimum of 8 inches to allow for burrowing. Appropriate sized cage, wheel and adequate bedding depth are all essential for a happy and healthy hamster.
Apologies if that was a bit negative. Plenty to think about and an upgrade will be well worth it.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote