View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: New to the forum and first time hamster owner!

Hello welcome, you’ll learn a lot here.

Getting to the point - housing. Yes you are right you’ll need to upgrade to either a tank or barred cage of preferably over 100x50cm. In my experience anything smaller has not worked for Syrians so I always try to go larger than that for them. If it’s a rotastak I’d say it’s pretty urgent to get him out of there as there it really isn’t a healthy environment for them. A large wheel at least 11” in diameter will be necessary too, or you’ll starting seeing back problems.

I don’t think the U.K. does good hamster foods so if it’s the best nutrition you want then you’re best off ordering from mixerama or getzoo for their Syrian mixes as they do high quality and natural mixes. It is expensive but none of the unnatural ingredients and pellets that you find over here in mixes. I wouldn’t exclusively feed science selective as variety is essential for them. You could put him on Harry hamster while you find a good mix but again it’s really not a brilliant mix due to all the pellets in there.

Sorry I can’t give more advice or answer everything as I’m pushed for time! Look forward to seeing your new ham.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote