View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Desperately Need Help

Oh dear - sorry to hear about the argument with parents. You don't need to spend a lot really - you can make things Cardboard is our friend! I was thinking bulk substrate would work out cheaper.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hamsters vary in their personalities. Our last Syrian was very tame and would even go to sleep on my knee under a blanket (lazy!). But he would never take food from your hand, in or out of the cage. Our current one is a gannet and will take food from anyone - he's even tried to get to my mouth to get food out if I've been chewing something!

So I wouldn't take that as a taming thing or a personal thing if she won't take food from you. Often they don't like taking it from you if your hand is in the cage as that's their territoriy.

It sounds like feeding in the evening would be better - doesn't matter if the door wakes her. It's often recommended to "noisily" put their food out to wake them for evening out of cage time - particularly when the hamster doesn't normally get up till very late.

My experience of hamster toys is - that hamsters aren't interested in any toys unless it's a hidey place, tunnel or has food stuck to it! But they like their habits - their nest, foraging and hoarding and sorting out their nest and house and pushing substrate around where they want it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote