View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 AM  
LilRussianRebel
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Desperately Need Help

Ive tried treat puzzles before, both hanging ones and ones she can push around but shepays no interest in them, even if I make the gaps bigger so she can stick her nose in, she doesn't bother with them.

As for cardboard she usually gets tubes and small boxes when someone orders something, which is quite frequent, I take everything off before giving it to her.

Yeah that cage design is not the greatest, but I had another argument again with my parents last night about it, they really don't value her life as much as I do, I want to make it as enriching as possible and they just don't give one, they thinking spending so much money on a hamster that only lasts a few years is ridiculous. So frustrating!!!!

I usually feed both hamsters in the morning as I usually have things to do and sometimes don't get in til late. I could try feeding her later on, the door is creaky so I'm wondering maybe if I tried it later on if she will wake up because she usually does wake up when the door is opened.

I tried scatter feeding her a few times and she does enjoy running around scooping up her food, I also have forage toys which I put treats in to keep her busy, I recentrecently bought one they say is appropriate for guinea pigs but lots of people were recommending it for Syrians, I've tied the ends up with some string so she can't go in and get stuck and she's been enjoying pulling treats from it.

She really enjoys peanuts and any kind of fruit or veg flavoured treats over items from her mix, but usually won't take either from me, if she tries to she usually tries to take it from my fingers but soon back off so I just place it in front of her gently and let her be.

I'm going to keep trying to tame her, that last session last week I'd done 3 days of being out in the pen and then 2 days not out, the other 2 days I gave her treats in the cage. To move her to the pen I use a carry box I made from a smal storage box, I just don't use thr lid because my bed with the pen is literally turn around from her cage.

I'm going to try and get a hide that the pet shop advertise for gerbils, it's made of wood and should be able to fit her as they have 2 sizes, large and small, the large one might be better for her given she's such a big girl.

I watch a lot of videos that various people post about different toys and things and when I've tried them it just seems to be that my hamsters aren't interested, my dwarf I can understand because she sleeps a lot now but cookie just doesnt pay any interest.

For cleaning her out I usually put her in the pen, ironically she seems less stressed when I clean her out than what she does when I have her out for taming, I don't have the option of putting her in another room as again timing is awful.

Hopefully I can figure something out, I've got a shopping list for my next payment lol
It's in another 2 weeks so hopefully she can hold out til then.
LilRussianRebel is offline   Reply With Quote