View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 AM  
souffle

Default Re: Genetics Query - Yellow & Cream

The sable female has to be a tort or else you could not have got Yellow females in the litter. The cream is epistatic so would mask any tort patches on the female and that applies to sable as well which is just Umbrous cream so she is hiding the yellow gene.
With the father being a Yellow black that sable male will also be hiding Yellow. He will also be genetically carrying yellow (only needs one to be yellow as he is male) and black (recessive) hidden by the sable.
Each of the pups in the litter has an equal chance of getting a gene so it really is the luck of the draw what you get in the pups in the litter and often you don't get all the expected combinations.
I'd like to see pics. A Dominant spot Sable is very very rare. There is something about domi spot and sable that do not mix. Sable banded is common and easy to produce. I have never seen a domi spot sable in years of judging and breeding and neither have any of my friends with large hamsteries bar one in Finland years ago.
If your male is yellow black you can be assured that this whole litter has at least one yellow gene each whether it is showing or not!
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote