Thread: Newt's thread
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 02:41 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Newt's thread

Thank you SKB.

Oh dear - Newt has had some kerfuffle. I had to clean out his labyrinth house - it was chock a block with food, hoards and substrate and he could hardly move so had pee'd in his nest.

That was a kerfuffle yesterday and I had to leave him out of the cage as he was getting a bit worried about me spot cleaning in his house while he was there. Took quite a while - the house needed wiping and drying and I had to prune his hoards a lot. But took care to save most of his nest and put new food back in the same (3!) places plus some tasty treats in there. Immediately he saw me moving things, he grabbed his most precious thing and ran off with it (the Wellbix dog biscuit!) So didn't want him to see me doing any more.

So all done and fine and he seems happy. And then tonight his Barney shelf collapsed! Spontaneously. Lucky he wasn't near it and it didn't fall far as the cork log underneath propped it up. But the noise brought him out and he got quite bothered and went under the shelf and showed me how awkward it was and how he couldn't get round the corner with it that low.

So I said - I didn't do it! Sorry I'll sort it out. But the blooming shelf wouldn't go bakc so I had to take the heavier ceramic things off it to try and get it back in the bar slots. And had to give up at this too because as soon as Newt saw me take the ceramic house off (it was full of an extra special hoard! Half walnuts, whole chews etc - clearly his extra special things) - he went up on the shelf and started trying to pouch that hoard.

Didn't want to upset him so put the house back and will have to look at the shelf when he's out of the cage next. It is still a bit low but stable on top of the cork log.

Anyway it seems the bars are a bit pushed apart and the shelf now won't sit in place at both ends. Can only assume that me leanign on it while doing things through the top door, has pushed the side bars out. Tried pushing them in at the sides but made no difference!

He needs a couple of days to settle after the house changes etc so will just leave it as it is for now - there's still enough space under it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote