View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: What's in your hamster's nest?

No they generally prefer everything left exactly the same! Although adding the odd new thing can go down well with them, but I find they don't like something familiar being removed. You may get away with it! But if he liked that tunnel and it formed part of his route around the cage he may get upset. Or may just accept the new carrot house instead. I go with not removing anything usually.

The only times I have changed set up is when it's really necessary - eg with Newt it was to lower everything and have things at ground level etc as he's getting older and struggling with climbing, which meant he was at risk with falling and hurting himself. A major cage change tends to stress them. If it's necessary they do settle but it can take 2 or 3 weeks of them being a bit stressed and lead to behaviours like peeing on things out of fear they will be taken away!

With the nest, I've found you can usually tell if it's been pee'd in without sniffing as the nesting material is an off colour! But I sniff as well just to check as sometimes it is off colour and not pee'd in!

I think they prefer not to pee in their nest and have it cosy, but younger hams occasionally have an accident.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote