Thread: Nugget's thread
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Nugget's thread

So Nugget had a trip to the vet's today. His Metacam bottle was nearly empty (I wasted a lot initially) and I was unsure about what was what with him. I didn't really want to take him or disturb him as he's just settled into his new set up and enjoying it - just wanted the Metacam. But decided it was best at this stage.

The Vet was very good and helpful and said she is happy with him carrying on the way he is. Surgery is definitely out of the question now as he now has skin nodules where his fur has come off as well.

I took his playbox lined with hemp mat, and with a saucer and tube tunnel in it as well and a little box of food. The playbox is quite shallow and thought the vet could see how he moved around etc in it, and it's easier to pick him up from there. So lifted him from the pet carrier into the playbox and she got a good look at him moving around. The reason he is better on the flat is because on slopes, his back foot sort of trips over one of the dangly lumps. But on level surfaces he does fine. Doesn't seem to happen when he's on his wheel and saucer either. She could see how active he was, running on his wheel and nibbling his food etc.

So he's fine to continue on Metacam unless he shows signs of kidney or liver failure as apparently then Metacam can cause more harm than good. She has kept him on the same dosage even though he weighs more, because the additional weight is the lumps.

As it may come to him needing helping on his way at some point, she explained their procedures for pts which was very reassuring - they always give an anaesthetic first and then bring the pet to the owner to hold after injection. She thinks it's more likely he develops complications than passes in his sleep - eg scratching the lumps and getting them infected. But at the moment that isn't an issue.

So will just continue with palliative care and see how he goes. Vet is satisfied he is doing fine at present now I've got the mobility issues sorted in the cage.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote