View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 11:48 AM  
QuietKarma
Newborn Pup

Default Hi, just finished my DIY cage. I have a few questions

Hi,
I (like many) bought a hamster 2 months ago with very out dated knowledge on hamster care. Since bringing Hermoine home, I have been through an extreme learning curve.
My biggest failures were not providing a large enough cage, a sand area, or large enough wheel. I have literally seen my hamsters personality change with this three adjustments alone.

So here are my questions:
1) Is it ok to have the cage in front of the window? I have the curtains closed (90%). Wary that the direct light could be harmful or bird shadows could create stress.
Note: I live in the UK so extreme sun is not really an issue

2) I have created a play space in the room the cage is located. It has carpeted floor. Is there a way to deter her from scratching at the carpet?

3) I bought her from a pet shop (I know!) and she is definitely over 3 months as she was fully grown at the time. Although she has settled down, and will now climb all over me, she still does not stay still, doesn't like sitting on the palm of my hand and generally seems as if she always would prefer to escape. Is this normal? So many videos of chilled hamsters, it just makes me worry.

4) I set up a night camera for interest. I've noticed that she seems to be aware of it. Could this create stress? Like a bird watching!?

5) I have added up to 10 inches of substrate, and even created part finished tunnels, however she has no interest in burrowing. Is this normal? Feel like I'm wasting substrate.

6) My cage does not have a lid/top. Does this impact a hamsters stress levels?

7) I also have 2 lamps, with red 3w bulbs, which run on a timer between 8-12pm. This enables me to see her during the time when we are both awake. Is this ok?

I just want to ensure this hamster is as content as possible. She has really changed into a happy hamster over the last 6 weeks however I just want to be sure I'm not unknowingly neglecting her.

I have attached some pictures of the DIY cage I made. Welcome any feedback or suggestions of improvement.

This is my first post, however this forum has been vital in my recent journey in hamster care, so thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamster cage.jpg (365.7 KB, 26 views)
QuietKarma is offline   Reply With Quote