Thread: Nugget's thread
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Nugget's thread

So tonight I have made some changes to Nugget's cage. I watched him climbing up his very shallow ramp to his house roof yesterday and he does struggle a bit on uneven surfaces. Also on the substrate. I keep pressing it down but it gets ruffled up again. It doesn't stop him he was sat in his food bowl pouching yesterday and uses his wheel.

I wasn't keen on removing all the substrate and putting hemp mat down, so have tried putting hemp mat on top of the substrate. Have also put his wheel back on it's stand (which is why it's so far from the back of the cage). This moves the wheel further forward and makes everything easier to get at in a smaller area.

I fiddled around with hemp mat for ages and cut out shapes to fit round his saucer, sand bath and food bowl, so they all have soft edges and it's easy to get in his wheel.

I left a corner open without hemp mat at the back behind the wheel as there was a huge hoard in that corner so if he wants to dig down a bit to get at his hoard, he can.

I took his cheese cube out because the bottom of the entrance holes is hard on his tummy and replaced it with an upturned sputnik for a shelter there. I've also added a hammock which should be nice and soft. It is at hemp mat level at one side and house roof level at the other side, but there is a gap underneath where his house entrance is so he has plenty of head room to get out if he turns right.

Not quite sure how it is going to work, so I'll have to keep an eye on things. He came to his house entrance a couple of times to see what was going on. A lot of changes but his house end is left alone apart from swapping the cheese cube for the sputnik.

Anyway hopefully he now has a nice level surface to get about on easier and can access everything easily.

The lumps mainly affect his mobility on uneven surfaces. Other than that he carries on doing everything as normal.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Attachment 48341

Attachment 48342

Attachment 48343

Attachment 48344

Attachment 48345

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote