View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 PM  
xosunflowerox
Hamster Pup

Default Suggested enrichment/boredom breakers for Syrian

Hello! For the past two nights, I have noticed my hamster trying to escape her bin cage. When I saw this, I was rather disheartened as I have read that is a sign the hamster is unhappy in the cage or is bored... In the almost three months that I have had her, I have already upgraded her cage. She's currently in a 44 gallon tote (800 square inches). This is the biggest cage I can provide in my current living situation. I was really hoping she would be happy in this cage, I have tried adding more substrate to encourage burrowing (8 inches), but I can't seem to get her interested. I buried food to encourage it, but it hasn't worked yet. I read that if they burrow, they are less bored. The substrate I use is a mix of hemp and Kaytee clean and cozy.

In her cage she has a big hideaway, a small hideaway, a platform, a bridge, a Carolina Storm bucket wheel, litter box, timothy hay, millet sprays, and toilet paper tubes. I am now trying to make her forage for all her food to help with the boredom. I'm hiding some food inside toilet paper treat parcels. It takes her maybe ten minutes to open it, then she's done.

The few things that seem to keep her busy are Whimzee chews and hamster treat sticks. I read that Whimzees should only be given once a month. I assume it's same for the treat sticks... Are there any healthy chews I can provide for my hamster more often? She usually doesn't chew on toilet paper rolls for more than a couple of minutes. She's uninterested in the wood sticks I have given her.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on things I can buy/make/do for my hamster so she is happier in her environment? Thanks in advance!
xosunflowerox is offline   Reply With Quote