Thread: Gerbil cages
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Gerbil cages

I see what you mean. Although I think we’re just going to have to disagree here as I really don’t think 10 (or even 20) gallons provides enough space for one/two gerbils. Unless you have a topper it isn’t going to allow for sufficient bedding depth either (bare minimum of 6-8” imo). I actually had a lone gerbil who refused to be re-bonded, some time ago in a 3ft tank and now wished I’d gone bigger, especially since she didn’t have any company. I think the enclosure becomes almost even more important when they’re alone, since as a species a lot of their happiness actually comes from living with others so that’s something you have to try and make up for.

I’m aware of the declanning risks but the way I see it is that there will always be that risk if you get social pets that need company. If you get two of any caged pet then part of that responsibility is understanding & being able to prepare for the possibility that the situation may not actually work out. So yes safety is important but so is giving them an enriching life - as I have to question the ethics of keeping two animals together that would only work out in a small cage. So not going for the smallest size that allows you to put the bare essentials in there but actually aiming to create the best environment you can for them. There are plenty of gerbils who do just fine in large cages too. If you’ve seen typical German gerbil set ups you’ll know that most are over 100x50cm (with 10”+ of bedding) and I’ve still very rarely heard of cases of declanning. If a pair is going to fall out due to being in a large cage it is going to be likely that they were not bonded properly in the first place - in which case I’d argue that the fall out was probably for the better and new housing arrangements can then be made.

Last edited by mangoandmimi; 04-11-2019 at 04:01 AM.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote