View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 PM  
frodo
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Can hamsters be housed in the same room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
Well I think you've worked it out for yourself! Scent is how they would find eachother in the wild to find mates from different territories so if your female ham was in heat (or maybe even if she wasn't) on the other side of the room it makes sense that he would notice.

I recently took in a male syrian and my female has been climbing the walls the past few days, scenting everything, frantic to get out of her cage in the evening. He's not even in the same room as he's still under quarantine!

I know there are plenty of ham keepers here with more experience keeping mixed sexed hams than me who can give advice on how to manage his stress levels but if the blanket trick works I think you've found at least one viable solution.
Oh my, sounds just like how my experience was the couple of days with my male dwarf. I guess I'm just very surprised over how good their sense of smell is! Have you experienced that your female Syrian hamster has become more affectionate towards to you too? My dwarf isn't much of a cuddler, but he has been cleaning my hands whenever he cleans himself too.

I have another question though. I've noticed my new dwarf has a wet nose. I discovered it when she gave me a little kiss on the nose. I'm wondering if it is because of her water bowl, which has caused her catching a cold. I don't have any experience with treating colds in hamsters, but I've provided a bunch of toilet paper in her cage. Are colds in hamsters something that should be treated at an exotic vet? Or is it just like human colds - something their immune system has to fight on their own?
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote